Sunday, May 22

eighteen || for tristan

when I was six 
after wrestling hours 
in preschool I look for a friend and 
you'd always be there 
you're not the sweet kind but you'd play
puppets with me on the terrace of our
grandparents' house 

you taught me how to cross
the road 
I always thought that
you were some sort of a hero waiting
for its story to be untold
you'd stir up maddening emotions at times 
you have traits I don't like
but I love it when you ride your bike 
you go so fast and 
sometimes even let me go with you
when I ask

there's always a 
deeply affecting and tragic feeling
when I think about you all grown up
I wish I can turn back time
to tell you just
how much I appreciate your strength 
that you'd bend rules so you could show me
how it's like to be on the 
top of the world
maybe halfway
or not even close

you are my original best friend
you've always been so brave
now that you are in pursuit of something
greater and possibly bigger in your life 
please know that I support 
you no matter what
happy 18th