Friday, September 14

listening to jazz

Every once 
in a while there is 
a nervous looking black child 
an interesting 
one - with no parent that
reads the magazine
or parleys with
another parent
on what one might
consider well meaning 
about fear, 
about careers, 
about
the local 
daycare 
Naturally, I err closer to the child
and I would greet him 
with an awkward first
hand shake or 
maybe a high five 
if I'm 
feeling it

He got a B in science
and he definitely
earned it
man versus gravity
earth, music
ecology
the ocean it does 
nothing 
but it gets the credit for
being breathtaking
Every Wednesday I go up to the hall
I imagine the child sitting
at the corner 
we listen to jazz
ashamed
frightened 
to be
lonely
I craft him paper 
stars 
they shine with 
the radiance of the sun 
only for him
the way nothing else can

I hear the dry sound of 
skin 
against skin
the bigger story arc
that tries to overtake
the secondary
plot 
that drives
both our stories
I tell him, 
"That is what the jazz is for."