Tuesday, September 18

cognitive decline

I won't tell you about the moment that I was born
   I will, however, say that I have two problems
        my mother wants me to go with her and watch the
        first moon landing
        two, the first moon landing was in 1969
        last week, we went out to get frozen yogurt
        she remembered her usual order, vanilla bean
        with coconut and blueberries, perfectly

she loved playing classical music
   it's a progressive art to the ears
        build to last
        fragile and unforgettable
        she started to forget counting backwards from 10

it's around this time of the year that I find
   myself observing every everyday folk, the
        troubadours, waitresses, dreamers, and artists
        maybe find out the reason why most
        teenagers color their nails black
        maybe pick a conversation
        with my mother whose brain is
        dipped in Alzheimer's disease

I feed, befriend and
   walk hand in hand with her
        delicate trust in me
        we build a friendship under multiple
        first impressions and various frustrations

people are walking by under the wintry weather
   they all love strolls around the central plaza
        we go sometimes, almost all the time around 4:00
        I'm glad she hasn't forgotten that today
        but she called me lady instead of my name
        I have no name
        but we had a good talk
        it's a tough crossroads kind of situation